> Cake recipes
> Rory's Awesome Moist Chocolate Cake
Rory's Awesome Moist Chocolate Cake
(based on 1 votes)
Those with nut allergies can simply omit the ground almonds with no other changes necessary.
- 250g dark chocolate, melted (I used Whittackers 50% cocoa)
- 100g butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 Cup rice flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ Cup cocoa
- ¼ Cup ground almonds
- ½ Cup warm water
- 125g plain yoghurt (sweetened is ok)
- ½ Cup caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Grease a medium or large springform cake tin (I used 26cm but it was nowhere near overflowing)
- Mix melted butter and chocolate together.
- In a separate bowl, sift together rice flour, baking powder and cocoa, then stir in ground almonds.
- Add butter/chocolate mixture, vanilla, egg yolks and half of the warm water into the dry mixture and beat into a smooth batter.
- In a 3rd bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. (Be sure to use a clean beater)
- Slowly add caster sugar to egg whites while beating. Keep beating until stiff and glossy.
- If the chocolate batter mixture has not solidified, beat in remaining warm water, otherwise use hot instead. (Don't bother cleaning the beater)
- Fold egg white mixture into chocolate batter
- Pour into cake tin and bake at 160°C for 40-45 minutes
- Allow cake to sit in tin for 5min before transferring to a cooling rack.
Simple Chocolate Icing
1 Cup icing sugar
¼ Cup cocoa
1 Tbspn margarine
Small dash of milk*
- Sift icing sugar and cocoa together.
- Add margarine and approx 1 Tbspn milk.
- Mix with a spoon, occasionally adding a small amount (e.g. a teaspoon) of milk until it makes a thick paste.
User Reviews (1):
Write your own review
Nut free version came out very nicely, not dry at all and disappeared in no time!
Write your review for Rory's Awesome Moist Chocolate Cake
Click to select your rating: