> Cake recipes
> German Walnut Cake
German Walnut Cake
- 350g walnuts chopped and toasted
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup caster sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- icing sugar (for serving)
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Grease a 24cm non-stick springform pan and line the bottom with baking paper
- Finely gring up the walnuts in a food processor
- Beat egg yoks in a small bowl with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Gradually add the sugar while beating and beat for a further 4 minutes until mixture is thick and creamy, then transfer to a large bowl.
- In a clean medium sized bowl, beat the egg whites until firm peaks form.
- Fold egg white into the walnut mixture 1⁄3 at a time.
- Spread mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 20mins.
- Cool cake completely IN OVEN with door ajar.
- Dust cake with sifted icing sugar just before serving.
Good quality walnut halves will have a better flavour than the bitter dark pieces of baking walnuts which are bitter.
Write your review for German Walnut Cake
Click to select your rating: