> Cake recipes
> Christmas cake 2
Christmas cake 2
- 250g butter or margarine
- 175g dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp golden syrup
- 2 Tbsp brandy
- 4 eggs
- 75g cornflour
- 100g potato flour
- 1 Tbsp mixed spice
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 175g ground almonds
- 1kg dried fruit mix
- zest of 1 orange, finely grated
- Preheat oven to 170° C
- Grease base and sides of a deep 20cm cake tin.
- Cut a double thickness strip of baking paper 5cm deeper than the tin and long engouh to wrap around it completely.
- Make a 2cm crease along the long folded edge then snip the paper from the fold to the crease at regular intervals.
- Place on layer of paper in the tin and grease it, then press the other strip on top ensuring that the paper folds are flat on the bottom of the tin.
- Cut 3 circle shaped pieces of baking paper to fit the bottom of the tin and press them into the base.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter or margarine, sugar and golden syrup until pale and creamy.
- Whisk in the brandy and gradually add the eggs and the cornflour, mixing to combine.
- Sieve in the potato flour, mixed spice and baking powder and fold in along with the rest fo the ingredients using a large metal spoon.
- Pile into the prepared tin and smooth over the top.
- Bake for 2 hours or until a metal skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in the tin (it might sink a little)
Cake can be iced or decorated with fruit.
Write your review for Christmas cake 2
Click to select your rating: