> Cake recipes
> Almond and pistachio syrup cake
Almond and pistachio syrup cake
(based on 1 votes)
- 125g pistachio kernels
- 3 cups (330g) ground almonds
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g butter, melted and cooled
- 3⁄5 cup (165g) extra caster sugar
- 1⁄3 cup (115g) honey
- 1⁄3 cup (80ml) water
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Grease a 20x30cm slice pan with cooking oil spray and line base with baking paper.
- Put 24 pistachios aside and grind the rest in a food processor or blender until fine.
- Combine ground pistachios, ground almonds, sugar, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl (I suggest using a wire whisk).
- In a medium sized bowl, beat eggs lightly until combined, then whisk in vanilla and butter until combined.
- Pour egg mixture into almond mixture and stir to combine well.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and arrange the reserved pistachios evenly over the top.
- Bake for 35mins or until cake is golden and coming away from sides of pan.
While baking, prepare the syrup:
- Place extra sugar, honey and water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved and bring to the boil.
- Boil uncovered for approx 2mins, but don't allow the syrup to froth over the sides.
- When cake comes out of oven, pierce the top all over with a toothpick and pour hot syrup over hot cake.
- Allow cake to cool in pan, soaking up syrup.
A bit of Cointreu poured over the cake never hurts ;)
User Reviews (1):
Write your own review
A good friend kindly made this for me recently and it was gorgeous. Soft and moist with a beautiful nutty flavour from the combination of the pistachios and almonds.
Write your review for Almond and pistachio syrup cake
Click to select your rating: